Sunday, May 13, 2012

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder



Touch of Power (Healer, #1)Touch of Power

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan absorbs their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Fifteen Realms, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.
Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life...


(summary from goodreads.com)
__________________________________________________
  
Maria V. Snyder, how do I love thee! Let me count the ways ... seriously, this lady weaves a great story. I loved and devoured her Study series - Valek and Yelena, I love you and miss you! I didn't connect as much with her Glass series, but still enjoyed it, and now she's starting another series. I kept hoping for a Valek cameo, but it was not to be. But still! Excellent book - reminded me a lot of Poison Study, which is a good thing. She is so creative with her creatures and fauna and characters and worlds. 

I liked Avry - she had a compassion in the midst of betrayal and a determination to always be true to herself. I always love a girl who is not a pushover! I connected with her and cared about her and loved her as much as I loved Yelena. I'm not sure why I didn't connect in the same way with Opal (heroine of the Glass series), but I never did. I loved Belen and "the monkeys" and Flea. I love stories where friendships seem real - teasing and supportive and unbreakable. This book was full of great heroes (even if it took awhile for them to get there!) and great evildoers. 
I have one small critique of this book, and it is similar to one I had about Poison Study - both ended with the romances consummated. Now, this isn't terribly surprising in a teen book, and was done in a very subtle and tasteful way (I can't even claim it was PG-13, a movie could probably still get away with a PG rating), but in both books it seemed forced and a little unnecessary to the plot - like the author wanted to sneak it in when possible, ran out of time, and then ended up doing it at the most inopportune time. I'm sorry, when a character is sick and at death's door maybe it's not the most natural time for passions to abound, which shows I'm a boring adult and no longer an impulsive teenager. I'm not even arguing it's presence in the book as much as it's timing. But ... just a small discontent. This is still a great book and one I will probably own someday, if the series continues as fabulously as it has started.


Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. Violence: sword fights. Profanity: yes, a bit. Sex: yes, see above mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment