Friday, September 20, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


The Fault in Our StarsThe Fault in Our Stars

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.
 
(summary from goodreads.com
 




__________________________________________________ 


I read a few John Green's several years ago and liked them but wasn't in love with them, so when this book popped up several times as a "must read" on several blogs I trusted, I dragged my feet. I wasn't even sure I hadn't read it - it may have been one of the John Green's from years ago. But when I found out they were making a movie of it I finally put it on hold and added it to my "to read" stack. Where it sat, waiting for me to wade through all the others I was more interested in. But finally (finally!) I picked it up, read it, and absolutely loved it. Oh this book. It is a tear-your-heart-strings kind of book. I loved both main characters, which is a must for truly loving a book. I'm not a fan of super sad books, which this certainly was at points, but this was still deliciously bittersweet and a good sob over fictional people is always a little cathartic. If you haven't read it, but are a fan of YA, stop dragging your feet and just read it already. It is a book I will probably reread at some point, which is one of the highest praises I can give a book. Heck, I might even buy it, and I can't praise it higher than that.

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: no; Profanity: yes; Sex: yes

2 comments:

  1. I've been dragging my feet too... but maybe I will have to bite the bullet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept seeing this book pop up on lists everywhere so I gave it a go and I'm so glad I did. Everything about it was beautiful. I loved the two main characters too but I gotta say the scene stealer for me was Isaac.

    ReplyDelete