Friday, March 29, 2013

Unbroken by Paula Morris

Unbroken (Ruined, #2)Unbroken


Welcome back to New Orleans.
Where the streets swirl with jazz and beauty.
Where the houses breathe with ghosts.

A year ago, Rebecca Brown escaped death in a New Orleans cemetery. Now she has returned to this haunting city. She is looking forward to seeing Anton Grey, the boy who may or may not have her heart.

But she also meets a ghost: a troubled boy who insists only she can help him. Soon Rebecca finds herself embroiled in another murder mystery from more than a century ago. But as she tries to right wrongs, she finds more questions than answers: Is she putting her friends, and herself, in danger? Can she trust this new ghost? And has she stumbled into something much bigger and more serious than she understands?
 
(summary from goodreads.com)
__________________________________________________ 
 
I remembered liking Ruined (the first book) and thought I would give Unbroken a try. It was a decent book - slipped into the Second Book Slump for most of the book and it was cheesier than I prefer. A few times the mother in me came out and I wanted to shake the idiotic teenagers and tell them to just TELL AN ADULT, so it wasn't as gripping as it could have been. I also thought the premise was a little lame - the last book was about life and death and curses, this one was about a missing locket. Not sure if the regret over not delivering a locket is enough to keep a ghost walking the earth for 150 years, but I guess I really wouldn't know since I'm not a ghost. 

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: small skirmishes; Profanity: none; Sex: none
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment