Saturday, September 22, 2012

Grace by Elizabeth Scott


Grace Grace

Grace was raised to be an Angel, a herald of death by suicide bomb. But she refuses to die for the cause, and now Grace is on the run, daring to dream of freedom. In search of a border she may never reach, she travels among malevolent soldiers on a decrepit train crawling through the desert. Accompanied by the mysterious Kerr, Grace struggles to be invisible, but the fear of discovery looms large as she recalls the history and events that delivered her uncertain fate.

Told in spare, powerful prose by acclaimed author Elizabeth Scott, this tale of a dystopian near future will haunt readers long after they’ve reached the final page.
(summary from goodreads.com)

__________________________________________________ 

I picked up this book the same time I picked up the last Elizabeth Scott - let's just say I had to get through a few book piles before I geared myself up to read this one. I liked it better than Living Dead Girl - still gritty and a piece of harsh realism, but better. Elizabeth Scott is a fascinating and gripping writer. I prefer her books that deal with less serious issues than pedophilia (Living Dead Girl) or cults/suicide bombings (Grace), though Grace in particular brought up a lot of interesting points about the lies told by both sides and using violence as a weapon.

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: yes; Profanity: can't remember, don't think so. Sex: reference to off-scene rape, abuse, sex

No comments:

Post a Comment