Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery



The Blue Castle The Blue Castle


Valancy lives a drab life with her overbearing mother and prying aunt. Then a shocking diagnosis from Dr. Trent prompts her to make a fresh start. For the first time, she does and says exactly what she feels. As she expands her limited horizons, Valancy undergoes a transformation, discovering a new world of love and happiness. One of Lucy Maud Montgomery's only novels intended for an adult audience, The Blue Castle is filled with humor and romance.
(summary from goodreads.com)

__________________________________________________ 

This is one of my favorites of all time and probably one of my top 5 most read books - I had a good time rereading it for the millionth time a week or so ago. I fell in love with Anne of Green Gables eons ago and remember going to the book store with my mom (possibly BDaltons? Waldenbooks? This was pre-Barnes and Noble and Amazon! I'm pre-historic!) and getting the list of L.M. Montgomery books available. I saved up my money and ordered every single one. Directly from the book store. (Yes, people actually used to do that.) I can't even remember how old I was - late elementary school? Early middle school? Anyway, moving on. The Blue Castle is one of the few adult books L.M. Montgomery wrote and it is sweet and touching and darling and adorable. A very lovely, light romance. Read it! All the preciousness of Anne of Green Gables rolled into one book.


Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is an adult book, but could be YA or Juvenile. Violence: none; Profanity: none; Sex: none
 

No comments:

Post a Comment