Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Corner of White by Jaclyn Moriarty


A Corner of White (The Colours of Madeleine #1)A Corner of White

Madeleine Tully lives in Cambridge, England, the World – a city of spires, Isaac Newton and Auntie’s Tea Shop.

Elliot Baranski lives in Bonfire, the Farms, the Kingdom of Cello – where seasons roam, the Butterfly Child sleeps in a glass jar, and bells warn of attacks from dangerous Colours.

They are worlds apart – until a crack opens up between them; a corner of white – the slim seam of a letter.

A mesmerising story of two worlds; the cracks between them, the science that binds them and the colours that infuse them.
 
 
(summary from goodreads.com
 
__________________________________________________ 

A sometimes strange mix of whimsy and harsh reality, fantasy and contemporary. It worked sometimes but other times was just a little weird. It was like I was reading two books at the same time from completely different genres, but the main characters occasionally communicated. This is a hard book for me to review - I still don't know what I thought of it. I liked it, I will read the next one in what will inevitably be a series, and I liked the characters, but I wasn't completely caught up and enamored with the story.

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: mild; Profanity: no; Sex: no
 

No comments:

Post a Comment