Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore


Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3)Bitterblue 


Eight years after Graceling, Bitterblue is now queen of Monsea. But the influence of her father, a violent psychopath with mind-altering abilities, lives on. Her advisors, who have run things since Leck died, believe in a forward-thinking plan: Pardon all who committed terrible acts under Leck’s reign, and forget anything bad ever happened. But when Bitterblue begins sneaking outside the castle—disguised and alone—to walk the streets of her own city, she starts realizing that the kingdom has been under the thirty-five-year spell of a madman, and the only way to move forward is to revisit the past.

Two thieves, who only steal what has already been stolen, change her life forever. They hold a key to the truth of Leck’s reign. And one of them, with an extreme skill called a Grace that he hasn’t yet identified, holds a key to her heart.
(summary from goodreads.com)
__________________________________________________ 

Bitterblue, Bitterblue. In some ways you weren't what I hoped you would be but in others you were so much more. I loved your predecessors and looked forward to your arrival with bated breath. Were you full of adventure and a well written world and cameos of most of my very favorite characters from previous books? Yes! But where was your soul mate? Why was I discontent with Saf? Or was I just reacting to YOUR discontent with Saf? I know your creator can write romantic tension that leaves me convinced her characters will be together forever, and I have to admit I missed that in your story. Does this mean a 4th book is yet to come? Will your story finally give you the love of your life? Will Gideon be given a chance? 

Bitterblue is the third in a series of books that must be read in order, and I encourage one and all to read them. Fabulous books! Begin with Graceling and move on to Fire, then read Bitterblue. That said, Bitterblue was my least favorite of the three, mostly because it felt unfinished. (And for that long of a book, I shouldn't feel that way.) I will hopefully change my mind when the inevitable fourth book is written. Hopefully. But regardless, still an outstanding book by Kristin Cashore. I'm amazed at how different the author's main characters are from book to book - it is delightful to read about different people, rather than the same personality in a different form. I was frustrated for Bitterblue as she dealt with betrayal and cover ups, all while trying to heal her country and come to terms with her past. I loved how Saf and Gideon gave her a glimpse into the inner workings of her city and was delighted to see Katsa and Po again. And remember when I was so worried about not seeing Fire again? Well. Let's just say my discontent at the end of the book was lessened a bit by a lovely surprise.

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: yes - references to horrible people doing terrible things.. Profanity: none that I remember. Sex: yes, moderate.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment