Friday, June 21, 2013

Jenna Fox Trilogy by Mary E. Pearson


The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #1)The Adoration of Jenna Fox 

 
Who is Jenna Fox? Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a coma, they tell her, and she is still recovering from a terrible accident in which she was involved a year ago. But what happened before that? Jenna doesn't remember her life. Or does she? And are the memories really hers?

(summary from goodreads.com)

__________________________________________________ 

Very engrossing, loved the mystery, but more importantly loved that the mystery was uncovered half way through so I could enjoy it more. I liked the characters and the dynamic between Jenna's parents and especially her grandmother. Makes you think about the ethics of medical practices that theoretically/maybe/possibly could be an actuality some day. And it ended well! I was surprised that there were sequels, it can stand alone. (I read this book years ago, but reread it when I discovered there were sequels.)

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: mild; Profanity: no; Sex: just kissing



The Fox Inheritance (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #2)

The Fox Inheritance

Once there were three. Three friends who loved each other—Jenna, Locke, and Kara. And after a terrible accident destroyed their bodies, their three minds were kept alive, spinning in a digital netherworld. Even in that disembodied nightmare, they were still together. At least at first. When Jenna disappeared, Locke and Kara had to go on without her. Decades passed, and then centuries.
Two-hundred-and-sixty years later, they have been released at last. Given new, perfect bodies, Locke and Kara awaken to a world they know nothing about, where everyone they once knew and loved is long dead.
Everyone except Jenna Fox.

(summary from goodreads.com)

__________________________________________________ 

I didn't think Jenna needed another book - I was happy with how her story ended in the last book. But this book took us interesting places, and it was nice to see how Jenna's life turned out. I liked Locke, hated Kara, adored Dot. I liked the original book better but this was still a fun second book.

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: mild; Profanity: no; Sex: slightly racy but no




Fox Forever (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #3)

Fox Forever 

Locke Jenkins has some catching up to do. After spending 260 years as a disembodied mind in a little black box, he has a perfect new body. But before he can move on with his unexpected new life, he’ll have to return the Favor he accepted from the shadowy resistance group known as the Network.

Locke must infiltrate the home of a government official by gaining the trust of his daughter, seventeen-year-old Raine, and he soon finds himself pulled deep into the world of the resistance—and into Raine’s life.

Mary E. Pearson brings the story she began in The Adoration of Jenna Fox and continued in The Fox Inheritance to a breathtaking conclusion as Locke discovers that being truly human requires much more than flesh and blood.

(summary from goodreads.com)

__________________________________________________ 

Yay! More Locke, no more Kara, more great characters. I really liked Locke's growth, his adjustment to his new life, his efforts to live his own life. This was a fun book with serious undertones of poverty and class discrimination. And let the record show - I love epilogues. Every book should have one.

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: mild; Profanity: no; Sex: slightly racy but no














No comments:

Post a Comment