Saturday, May 25, 2013

Freefall by Mindi Scott


Freefall Freefall

How do you come back from the point of no return?

Seth McCoy was the last person to see his best friend Isaac alive, and the first to find him dead. It was just another night, just another party, just another time where Isaac drank too much and passed out on the lawn. Only this time, Isaac didn’t wake up.

Convinced that his own actions led to his friend’s death, Seth is torn between turning his life around . . . or losing himself completely.

Then he meets Rosetta: so beautiful and so different from everything and everyone he’s ever known. But Rosetta has secrets of her own, and Seth will soon realize he isn’t the only one who
needs saving . . .


(summary from goodreads.com)

__________________________________________________ 

I have a very long "books to read" note on my computer. Very long. When I read/hear about a book that interests me or that someone with similar literary tastes likes, I'll add it to the list. This book has been added to my list about 4 times, so I figured it was about time to read it. 

I found it pretty meh at the beginning - bad guy, bad language, typical stupid teens (as I get further and further into my 30s, or maybe as my kids get further and further into their teens, I have less and less patience with stupid teens.) But then it turned into a book about teens dealing with grief and trying to overcome stupid decisions, and growth and maturity and all that stuff, which is always a good thing. My main problem with this book, besides the language, was the sex. Sadly it falls into the pitfall of a lot of teen books - it treats teen sex as commonplace, normal, expected. Which is kind of sad and not what teens need to believe.


Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: mild; Profanity: yes; Sex: yes
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment