Friday, June 7, 2013

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

The Forgotten Garden The Forgotten Garden


A foundling, an old book of dark fairy tales, a secret garden, an aristocratic family, a love denied, and a mystery. The Forgotten Garden is a captivating, atmospheric and compulsively readable story of the past, secrets, family and memory from the international best-selling author Kate Morton.

Cassandra is lost, alone and grieving. Her much loved grandmother, Nell, has just died and Cassandra, her life already shaken by a tragic accident ten years ago, feels like she has lost everything dear to her. But an unexpected and mysterious bequest from Nell turns Cassandra's life upside down and ends up challenging everything she thought she knew about herself and her family.

(summary from goodreads.com)

__________________________________________________ 

ANOTHER adult book! And this one not even for a book group! Yes, I AM occasionally an adult. Even without coercion. Kate Morton has been suggested to me several times so I thought it was about time I gave her a try. She spun a great story. I really liked the different perspectives, especially since they spanned three generations. Slowly seeing the whole picture by putting together three different stories was fun. I loved the references to Francis Hodgson Burnett and the Secret Garden. So fun, especially since the garden in the book already made me think of that beloved children's book. It wasn't as happy a book as I had hoped for but it ended well and I enjoyed discovering the mystery. I just wish Nell had had a much happier life. 

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is an ADULT book, so no YA strictures. Violence: off "screen"; Profanity: not sure?; Sex: brief, vague, but yes
 

No comments:

Post a Comment