Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) The Forest of Hands and Teeth 


In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?
 

(summary from goodreads.com)

__________________________________________________ 

Ack! How in the world did I get involved in a zombie book? Ugh! It was on my "to read" list and I borrowed a digital copy from my library and started it before realized what the subject matter was. If you like zombies and shuffling death and the hopelessness and desperation born of never ending hordes of creatures who steal the humanity from your loved ones, then this is the book for you!! This was a well written book with a rich world building but just NOT my cup of tea. I hate zombies. They tend to inhabit sad and depressing books. I will probably skim the next two books to see if there are any happy endings for the characters, mostly because they are already on my kindle. But if they are like this book, they will be about heroines who are finally triumphant but sacrifice way too much to get there. Carrie Ryan is master of the undead - unfortunately it is a skill I can't fully appreciate. Now I need to find another dragon book to wash my mind of zombies ...


Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: yes; Profanity: none; Sex: innuendos

No comments:

Post a Comment