Saturday, September 14, 2013

How To Ruin ... by Simone Elkeles



How to Ruin a Summer Vacation

How to Ruin a Summer Vacation

Moshav? What’s a moshav? Is it “shopping mall” in Hebrew? I mean, from what Jessica was telling me, Israeli stores have the latest fashions from Europe. That black dress Jessica has is really awesome. I know I’d be selling out if I go with the Sperm Donor to a mall, but I keep thinking about all the great stuff I could bring back home.
Unfortunately for 16-year-old Amy Nelson, “moshav” is not Hebrew for “shopping mall.” Not even close. Think goats, not Gucci.
Going to Israel with her estranged Israeli father is the last thing Amy wants to do this summer. She’s got a serious grudge against her dad, a.k.a. “Sperm Donor,” for showing up so rarely in her life. Now he’s dragging her to a war zone to meet a family she’s never known, where she’ll probably be drafted into the army. At the very least, she’ll be stuck in a house with no AC and only one bathroom for seven people all summer—no best friend, no boyfriend, no shopping, no cell phone…
Goodbye pride—hello Israel.

How to Ruin Your Boyfriend's Reputation (How to Ruin, #3) How to Ruin Your Boyfriend's Reputation 


Guess who's jetting to the Holy Land this summer!

Remember me, Amy Barak-Nelson—a.k.a the queen of disaster? In case you forgot, my boyfriend Avi is in the Israeli army. A visit is definitely in order.

Somehow my grandmother convinced me to sign up for two weeks of pure hell in a military training base. Getting up before dawn, peeing in a hole, and playing war games in the desert isn't my idea of fun. But what's worse? Our team leader turns out to be Avi!
 
 
 
(summaries from goodreads.com
 
__________________________________________________ 
 
Again, not quite sure how this got on my to-read list - truly one of the mysteries of the universe. And of course when I grabbed this one I also picked up (what I thought was) the second at the same time because it was there and that's just what I do. And then even though the main character in the first drove me crazy and made me feel much more Mother Of Annoying Teen than swept away in the story, I still read the "second" one because it was short and I had it. And … I liked it! Much better than the first. In the first Amy came off as a teen that yes, came from a difficult family dynamic, and yes, had a lot of issues, but mostly struck me as spoiled and whiny and so so annoying. The entitleness overshadowed the feisty spunk. But by the "second" book (actually turned out to be the third, who knew! I hate reading out of order, alas) the entitleness and annoying whining were more understated and you could appreciate Amy's quirkiness, though she still obsessed about her boobs way too much. The best part of both books was that they took place in Israel, so it was fun to travel around and "visit" places I remembered from studying abroad there long long ago. Will I read the 2nd book? Possibly, if I see it on the library shelf, just waiting to be taken. But I don't think it will go on my to-read list.

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: moderate; Profanity: yes; Sex: no but much much discussion

No comments:

Post a Comment