Saturday, May 25, 2013

Just One Day by Gayle Forman


Just One Day (Just One Day, #1) Just One Day

A breathtaking journey toward self-discovery and true love, from the author of If I Stay
When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines.

Just One Day is the first in a sweepingly romantic duet of novels. Willem’s story—Just One Year—is coming soon!
(summary from goodreads.com)

__________________________________________________ 
This book … THIS BOOK! I loved loved loved Forman's last two-book series and looked forward to this one immensely. Then I read the synopsis and was all … really? This book is about a girl who searches a whole year for a guy who abandoned her after only one day? Because she thinks she's in love or something? Isn't that kind of … pathetic? I do NOT want to read about a pathetic girl. But I still dutifully put it on hold, determined to give it a try, and was of course swept up in another masterful Forman story. This book is not pathetic, there is so much going on, and of course you want to reach in and shake the characters now and again when they do stupid things. And then the ending … can I really wait until October for the next book? No, I cannot. And now I want to go to Paris.
This is a great contemporary novel from an author who is a maestro at creating realistic characters and sweeping along her readers in emotionally heart wrenching stories. If you like contemporary YA books, give her a try.

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: mild; Profanity: don't think so; Sex: the "fade to black" variety, mild discussion
 

No comments:

Post a Comment