Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Froi of the Exiles/Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta


Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2) Froi of the Exiles

Blood sings to blood, Froi . . .
Those born last will make the first . . .
For Charyn will be barren no more.


Three years after the curse on Lumatere was lifted, Froi has found his home... Or so he believes...

Fiercely loyal to the Queen and Finnikin, Froi has been trained roughly and lovingly by the Guard sworn to protect the royal family, and has learned to control his quick temper. But when he is sent on a secretive mission to the kingdom of Charyn, nothing could have prepared him for what he finds. Here he encounters a damaged people who are not who they seem, and must unravel both the dark bonds of kinship and the mysteries of a half-mad Princess.

And in this barren and mysterious place, he will discover that there is a song sleeping in his blood, and though Froi would rather not, the time has come to listen.

Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)

Quintana of Charyn

There's a babe in my belly that whispers the valley, Froi. I follow the whispers and come to the road . . .

Separated from the girl he loves and has sworn to protect, Froi must travel through Charyn to search for Quintana, the mother of Charyn's unborn king, and protect her against those who will do anything to gain power. But what happens when loyalty to family and country conflict? When the forces marshalled in Charyn's war gather and threaten to involve the whole of the land, including Lumatere, only Froi can set things right, with the help of those he loves.
 
(summaries from goodreads.com
 
__________________________________________________ 

I decided to review these together because they felt like the same book divided in a part one and part two. Grittier and crasser than it's predecessor, full of even more flawed characters, sometimes overly harsh and miserable but it worked. I fell in love with the characters (even though at times I didn't think I would), enjoyed switching between different perspectives (sometimes confusing and irritating but really worked for these books), and was glad I didn't have to wait for the Part Two when I was done with the Part One. I was happy with the ending but was worried for a long time I wouldn't be. I can honestly say I loved this series, but I also know a lot of my friends wouldn't love it. Serious fantasy, people. Think PG-13 Game of Thrones. However, if you LIKE Game of Thrones, go for it, they are fabulous reads.

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: yes; Profanity: yes; Sex: yes

No comments:

Post a Comment