Friday, September 20, 2013

The Twice Lost by Sarah Porter


The Twice Lost (Lost Voices, #3)The Twice Lost

Mermaids have been sinking ships and drowning humans for centuries, and now the government is determined to put an end to the mermaid problem—by slaughtering all of them. Luce, a mermaid with exceptionally threatening abilities, becomes their number-one target, hunted as she flees down the coast toward San Francisco.

There she finds hundreds of mermaids living in exile under the docks of the bay. These are the Twice Lost: once-human girls lost first when a trauma turned them into mermaids, and lost a second time when they broke mermaid law and were rejected by their tribes. Luce is stunned when they elect her as their leader. But she won’t be their queen. She’ll be their general. And they will become the Twice Lost Army—because this is war.
 
(summary from goodreads.com)
 
__________________________________________________ 

I didn't like the first book very much, really liked the 2nd, and found this one kind of in-between. I liked the ending and the resolution between friends and mermaids and relationships, but I also thought the book dragged for a LONG time, especially in the middle. The plot seemed to be nearing the end and it still had 200 pages left. Oh me oh my, it was way too long. I was also distracted several times by the writing - either too cheesy, or forced silliness, or out of the blue formality - it just seemed awkward. There were life and death issues and then random teenage silliness and relationship angst, which usually is great and lightens things up but kind of bugged me this time around. So … interesting premise, nice closure, never really loved the romance but that's okay, not a series I'll reread.
 
Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: heavy; Profanity: can't remember, possible; Sex: moderate
 

No comments:

Post a Comment