Friday, June 7, 2013

Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike


Life After Theft Life After Theft

Moving to a new high school sucks. Especially a rich-kid private school. With uniforms. But nothing is worse than finding out the first girl you meet is dead. And a klepto.

No one can see or hear Kimberlee except Jeff, so--in hopes of bringing an end to the snarkiest haunting in history--he agrees to help her complete her "unfinished business." But when the enmity between Kimberlee and Jeff's new crush, Sera, manages to continue posthumously, Jeff wonders if he's made the right choice.

Clash meets sass in this uproarious modern-day retelling of Baroness Orczy's The Scarlet Pimpernel.
(summary from goodreads.com)


__________________________________________________ 

This book is supposedly a retelling of the Scarlet Pimpernel, but I saw only faint echoes of it. It may have been inspired by that book, but I don't think it's a retelling. This book was a nice mix of amusement and heartbreak. I didn't love it but it was still a fun read, though I wouldn't let my kids read it. I don't like the "sex is no big deal and a normal part of teen life" belief so many YA books have. Whatever.


Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: mild; Profanity: yes; Sex: yes

No comments:

Post a Comment