Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pivot Point by Kasie West


Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)

Pivot Point

by
Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.
 
(summary from goodreads.com)
__________________________________________________ 
 
Disclaimer: I went to high school with this author. She was bestish friends with a few of my bestish friends, so it's like we were bestish friends once removed. (Yes, bestish is TOTALLY a word.) She was in dance, I was in drama, our worlds didn't collide all that often, but I knew her and liked her and considered her a friend. So when I found out (long, long ago, such is the world of facebook) that she had written YA books that were actually going to be published, I was completely and utterly thrilled for her. So exciting! But I've never read a book from someone I know, and I was a little nervous about the prospect. Would I like it? Would I like it only because I knew her? How in the world could I review a book written by someone I know and respect and am even FACEBOOK FRIENDS with? Like, legitimate pre-book-published facebook friends?

Turns out all my worries were for naught because I loved her book. Loved it. So creative! One of the best paranormal worlds I have encountered. I loved her characters and her heroine and the struggles she went through. I sped through it and can't wait to read the next one. I trust Kasie (see, TOTALLY first name basis) to pull through and give Addie an even happier ending in the next one. Which isn't to say Pivot Point didn't have a great ending - it honestly couldn't have ended any differently. But I can't wait for the next one.

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: none; Profanity: none; Sex: none
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment