Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier

Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1) Shadowfell

 
Sixteen-year-old Neryn is alone in the land of Alban, where the oppressive king has ordered anyone with magical strengths captured and brought before him. Eager to hide her own canny skill--a uniquely powerful ability to communicate with the fairy-like Good Folk--Neryn sets out for the legendary Shadowfell, a home and training ground for a secret rebel group determined to overthrow the evil King Keldec.
During her dangerous journey, she receives aid from the Good Folk, who tell her she must pass a series of tests in order to recognize her full potential. She also finds help from a handsome young man, Flint, who rescues her from certain death--but whose motives in doing so remain unclear. Neryn struggles to trust her only allies. They both hint that she alone may be the key to Alban's release from Keldec's rule. Homeless, unsure of who to trust, and trapped in an empire determined to crush her, Neryn must make it to Shadowfell not only to save herself, but to save Alban.
 
(summary from goodreads.com)
__________________________________________________ 
 

I really liked this book. Sometimes after reading contemporary, or dystopian, or paranormal, I'll pick up a fantasy book and remember how much I love fantasy. I loved Neryn's strength and flaws, her determination in the journey. I loved the "Good Folk." I love books where they travel - I like the camaraderie that comes from journeying and setting up camping and eating together, I think it makes for more realistic relationships. Of COURSE people get to know each other when they travel for months together. I love Flint and am so curious to see how his story turns out. My one and only problem with this book? HER AGE. Seriously, she should be 4-5 years older than she is. I'd be happier with 3 years older. I've read other books by Juliet Marillier and her heroines are always a bit young - when writing a historical book, I understand the need for accuracy and such. Yes, in the past young girls were married off much earlier than they are now, which is how I've ignored the ages in her other books. But this isn't a historical novel, it's fantasy. It's not even fantastical history. Pure fantasy with new countries and landscapes and people. She needs to be older. Hopefully she ages a lot before the next book or I forget how old she actually is.
 
Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: moderate. Profanity: no. Sex: random groping and worrying about "what men want", but that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment