Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Reached by Ally Condie


Reached (Matched, #3)Reached 

by
After leaving Society to desperately seek The Rising, and each other, Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again. Cassia is assigned undercover in Central city, Ky outside the borders, an airship pilot with Indie. Xander is a medic, with a secret. All too soon, everything shifts again.
 
(summary from goodreads.com)
__________________________________________________ 

This is (possibly) the last book in a series of three. Admittedly my interest has been waning since the first one, but I still felt I needed the closure this one would bring. But ack! Not enough closure! I felt this book didn't tie everything up like it should have. I have waded through pages and pages with these characters, slogged through one drama after another, and traveled many many exhausting miles with them. All I wanted was a happy clappy everything perfect ending. Did I ask for too much? Obviously yes.
 
I wonder if Condie left some ends hanging just in case she wanted to come back for a 4th book. And the romance! Disappointing. Cassia and Ky were separated almost the whole book (I know, I know, there is more to the plot than the romance, but really? The whole book? I might expect that for a 2nd book, but not for a 3rd. By the 3rd we're due for a little more love.) I also felt like she tried to cram so many extra characters and plot twists that the book didn't resemble the original as closely as it should have. The world building we had been introduced to in the first two books was all crumpled up and thrown out the window. At least that's how I was left feeling.

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: none, though many deaths from illness; Profanity: none that I remember; Sex: none
 

No comments:

Post a Comment