Saturday, September 22, 2012

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Seraphina (Seraphina, #1)

Seraphina


Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.

Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.

In her exquisitely written fantasy debut, Rachel Hartman creates a rich, complex, and utterly original world. Seraphina's tortuous journey to self-acceptance is one readers will remember long after they've turned the final page.

(summary from goodreads.com)

__________________________________________________ 

I really really really liked this book! See, I KNEW I loved dragons. This book had one of the best dragon cultures I've ever read. I loved Seraphina and thought this was a very well written book. Great heroine, fabulous side characters, great story, fascinating world. Seraphina is the type of heroine I most enjoy - strong, determined, trying her best in difficult situations, not whiny. Ooh I hate whiny heroines. There were so many things to love about this book - read it if you love pure fantasy with a heavy dose of really excellent dragons.


Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: moderate; Profanity: none; Sex: oblique reference to such, especially as babies result

2 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about this one, but dragons are not my cup of tea. However, I think my 12 yo would love it. Is it age appropriate for her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might actually like these dragons, they are pretty unique. I let my 14 year old read it when he expressed interest - the main characters only kiss, but there are several references to sex, as a "the adults were going upstairs to do who knows what" type of thing. There is reference to relations between humans and dragons (while the dragons are in their human form), resulting in half breeds - the main instance of this resulted from a married union. Other references talk about "horrifying and unnatural acts", so still fairly oblique. There is some discussion of what "bastard" means (my mother was unmarried, is the extent). There were several references to "Daanites", which by the end of the book I finally realized probably meant homosexuals, but it was by no means obvious. There are several assassination attempts, some fighting, some poisoning. There are also some great examples of accepting different races and the dangers/hate that occurs when you can't, how life changing love is (not just romantic love, also friendship and familial love), and how strong one person can be when she overcomes the shame she's been raised with and learns self acceptance. Hopefully that will help you make a more educated decision? :)

      Delete