Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Fire by Kristin Cashore


 

Fire (Graceling Realm, #2) Fire

She is the last of her kind...

It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. In King City, the young King Nash is clinging to the throne, while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. War is coming. And the mountains and forest are filled with spies and thieves. This is where Fire lives, a girl whose beauty is impossibly irresistible and who can control the minds of everyone around her.

Exquisitely romantic, this companion to the highly praised Graceling has an entirely new cast of characters, save for one person who plays a pivotal role in both books. You don’t need to have read Graceling to love Fire. But if you haven’t, you’ll be dying to read it next.

(summary from goodreads.com)
__________________________________________________ 

  Another great book by Kristin Cashore. This is more of a prelude than a 2nd book in a series - I enjoyed reading about yet another strong and powerful woman. At the same time, it's fascinating to see how different Katsa (Graceling) is from Fire - Fire has a vulnerability and humility that is quite different from Katsa. It was nice to see the developing relationship between Fire and her romantic counterpart - there wasn't an immediate falling in love that is always a wee bit unbelievable, but rather the more realistic build up of like minds. Fire's struggles with her beauty, her power, and her love of children and her belief that she shouldn't have children were heartrending and beautiful. She was a multidimensional character with passion and loyalty. I look forward to reading Bitterblue (the third in the series) - I would love to see both Fire and Katsa make an appearance, but from what I've read Fire doesn't appear. Alas. I would have liked to see her again.

Mom note: As a mother of readers, I also want to make a note to myself (and others if they care) why I would or would not have my children read this book, because honestly, sometimes I forget. This is a YA book, so everything is within YA strictures. Violence: yes - sword fights, real fights Profanity: none that I can recall. Sex: yes

No comments:

Post a Comment